Sunday, January 01, 2006

Why should I learn Scheme?

As a software engineer, I'm not unique for not having never learnt Scheme or Common Lisp. I had my Professional Education in Electronics and Communication Engineering, where the focus had been on learning stuff far removed from my day to day work - which is Software Engineering.

As a result, not knowing some of the basics of computer science has left me with a poorer understanding of software. To make up for this gap, one of my new year's resolution is to learn Scheme. Learning Scheme by itself will not make up for my lack of education, but will help in understanding some of the fundamentals that I sorely lack.

This blog is about Scheme and related topics. I'm going to look at Scheme through a Newbie's eyes. In my day to day job, I work exclusively on Embedded Software, which requires good understanding of Operating Systems, C, Hardware/Software Interfaces, Device Drivers. At this point in time, I don't see any connection between Scheme and my day to day work, but I hope to learn it nevertheless. Its been almost 8 years since I first learnt C, and over 10 years since I learnt Fortran. But I learnt my first language, Basic almost 14 years ago. Its about time I learnt Scheme.

No comments: