Monday, May 14, 2007

Ubuntu for me

Eva's laptop has been acting up for sometime now. I finally decided to get right of windows, and install Ubuntu. Well... Not quite, I still have windows. Err.. Not yet.
I have left a 40 GB partition open for windows and I'll probably reinstall WinXP on that partition.

Anyways, I downloaded Ubuntu. It took me 9 hours! Nope I'm not joking. I lost 2 hours of download when the connection to a mirror at Singapore was lost. So, the download had to be restarted with a mirror in Oz and that took 7 hours.

I finally burnt it on a CD and got started. Everything was done with the greatest of ease. 30 mins later, I had the laptop up and running. But sadly, I couldn't connect to Gooze's Wireless connection. I tried using Ubuntu's inbuilt wireless configuration tool but that didn't work.

So, I tried to configure it manually by using iwconfig. That too didn't get wireless up and finally I had to do a bit of googling. It turned out that I need to use wpa_supplicant as the router was configured with WPA and not WEP.

I just followed the HOWTO and voila! its time for another blog entry.

Other than the WPA part, everything else was really smooth and cool. Its the fastest Linux install I have ever done. My first one was a Slackware installation over an UMSDOS partition and that just screwed up entire Win98 installation. So, it was a RH5.0 that I installed and cleaned out my Win98. After a few years, I reinstalled Windows in a separate partitions. Here I am, 10 years later, with just Linux on my m/c and no WinXP. A full circle!

2 comments:

Dr. Eva Kathoy Radish-Rho said...

No more of those pesky messsages about corrupted dlls

Unknown said...

Not to mention no more worrying about adware, spyware, etc...

Problem is though that the Ubuntu fonts are harder on my eyes and if you do any web development at all you need IE. Although I hear WINE lets you get IE going... I should switch back to Ubuntu and see if the fonts have gotten fixed.